Lytchett U15’s travelled to Sherborne on Sunday to take on their U15’s in what is traditionally a hotly contested match.

 Lytchett chose to receive the ball from kick off and with a small error in trying to catch the kick they gave possession and conceded ground to Sherborne. Sherborne pressed Lytchett hard and were forcing Lytchett back to defend in their own 22 for the first ten minutes of the match. Eventually the pressure on the Lytchett defence was too much and they conceded a well worked forwards try from Sherborne.

 Lytchett gathered themselves and from the restart and competed hard for possession. Lytchett’s back row were always first to the breakdown only to be penalised with some contentious interpretations of the ruck. With the pressure on Lytchett from the decisions around the ruck they were unlucky to concede another try. Despite the frustration Lytchett maintained their discipline and focus and through some good ruck work and quick passing from the backs they were rewarded with a try to come to within one score of Sherborne.

 Lytchett rallied again and pushed the Sherborne defence hard, eventually succeeding in scoring another try to even the scores. Luck was not with Lytchett today and with a Sherborne knock on going unnoticed from the restart they proceeded to work the ball the length of the pitch and score another try just before half time. Lytchett, sensing the half time whistle immediately forced their way over the Sherborne try line, only for the try to be chalked off for an infringement.

The second half saw Freddie Sax run on to make his debut for Lytchett in the front row and what a solid performance it was. Well done Freddie, more of the same next match please.

With more hard work from both teams the second half was a hard fought affair. Unfortunately for Lytchett they lost a player for a dangerous tackle to the sin bin for five minutes. With the teams being so evenly matched the loss of the Lytchett player was too much for their defence to cope with and with Sherborne taking advantage of this scored their fourth try of the match.

With the Lytchett team back up to fifteen players they started to dominate in the pack. Lytchetts number eight sprinted fifty metres into the Sherborne 22 and passed out to a Lytchett centre on the wing who then committed the Sherborne defence and offloaded beautifully back to the Lytchett number eight who powered over the line for a try. Unfortunately, in the process of scoring the try the number eight suffered an injury to his hand and had to leave the pitch. We all wish him well in his recovery.

Lytchett pushed hard for the equaliser but the task was too much against strong opposition. Sherborne winning by 28 points to 21

Lytchett try scorers                     Conversions

Ricardo Morgan – 2                     Bruno Skinner – 3

Coby Collins – 1